Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sometimes You Just Need A Little Help Up

Last Christmas I acquired a yorkie puppy named Simba. I say acquired rather than adopted because he was unwanted by a family member of mine and since at the time I was thinking about adopting a dog of some sort I was asked if I would take him. Of course one look at the precious little baby and I just fell in love.
How can you not love that face!

As great as the love and attention is I quickly became annoyed when after a few nights I realized that my bed was simply too high for him to easily jump into bed with me (yes I am one of those annoying people who sleep cuddled with their animal). So my next step was to acquire some sort of step or steps to allow my little king to jump into bed by himself saving me from constantly bending down to pick him up. 

I quickly discovered that most steps are quite expensive and really not that cute. So I used a plastic crate that was no longer serving a purpose and a blanket to cover the holes and make it look slightly cuter.

Now that worked great in my last place but since I have moved I am trying to make my room look more cohesive and grown up so the blanket over the crate look was not going to work. This lead me to come up with a more permanent solution and while searching through the fabric at hobby lobby one day I found this adorable multi colored chevron that I felt would go well in my room.

After purchasing the fabric and a little extra foam to give it some padding and stability it was time to assemble my step
I bought two yards of the fabric and used a majority of it. The crate you can get at walmart. The foam was bought at hobby lobby and the pillow was just an extra one I had lying around.

This was the easy part since I just measured out the amount of fabric it would take to cover the crate with the padding and pillow on top and stapled the fabric to the inside, bottom of the crate.

The end result is an adorable step that looks awesome and so much better that the blanket or those generic store bought one, but then again I may be a little biased.
Excuse the things in the background it was a crafting kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment