Sunday, December 15, 2013

Get Naked

As you can probably figure out by now Pinterest is one of my favorite websites. In fact, if I could only choose one type of social media to use for the rest of my life it would be Pinterest. Considering my crafting addiction it's pretty easy to see why. One day during a perusal of Pinterest I found this adorable chevron print sign that had Get Naked written rather largely on it. I immediately fell in love and knew that I needed to make one to go in my bathroom. Cause lets face it what could possibly be classier and cuter with my inspirational beauty quotes than a sign telling you to remove your clothing?


Off to hobby lobby I went for supplies. Luckily I had plenty of bright colored paint, from my earlier bathroom art creation, so all I really needed was a canvas. I decided to stick with the rectangular one that was in the picture I found, partly because I thought that the spacing on the rectangle was adorable and it would look awkward in a more square pattern, but also because above my toilet I had a rectangle shaped piece of wall that the sign would fit perfectly in.

I abandoned the chevron print, partly because I could not get the spacing right where it did not look awkward and weird, and partly because once I had the print drawn I realized that it looked too busy and clashed with my paisley shower curtain. I decided to go with a much simpler and cleaner diagonal stripes. The plus to this was also that the execution of such would be easier. All I did was use painters tape to mark my stripes. I wanted to incorporate more of the colors in this wall hanging than in the previous one and the stripes helped to do that as well. I picked out four colors (the coral and yellow that was previously used) as well as a teal and gray. The teal matched a color that was also present in my shower curtain and the gray not only matched as well but had the added bonus of adding a color contrast to the other brighter colors. I don't know about everyone else but I always like when a light gray or brown or white is included with multicolored patters to balance them all out.

With my striped pattern laid out in tape, I simply alternated painting the open areas. The was the easy part since every other stripe was covered with tape I didn't have to worry about making my lines super neat, the tape helped do that for me. My only concentration was in making sure that I alternated my first two colors. This may sound easy but I assure you if you are like me sometimes you get a little distracted and can end up using the same color rather than switching. Thankfully I did this step in light yellow and teal thinking that the coral and the gray would be able to easily cover any mistakes made. After applying several coats of the first two colors and letting them dry, I removed the tape creating new white stripes. Since I did not want these to remain white, I painted the white areas with the two remaining colors. I now had a multicolored stripe pattern on my rectangle canvas.

Now it was time to apply the lettering. I made a copy of the wording on my computer with the font that I liked. I than placed a piece of tissue paper onto the screen and traced the image using a pencil onto the tissue paper. That traced image was than placed onto the canvas where I retraced the pencil marks with sharpie which bled through the tissue paper onto the canvas. I than used a paint pen to color in the image. After everything has dried it is time to hang it and enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment