Sunday, December 15, 2013

Storage made adorable

Keeping with my bathroom theme, my next project was the drawers that I use to store makeup. I had bought a black plastic set of 5 drawers. I love storing my makeup this way because I could divide the different aspects and layers of makeup. For example, foundation, powder, blush, face primer and things of that nature are in the top drawer. The second drawer contains my eye shadows, the third the mascara and curler, fourth odds and ends like mirrors and fifth has hair ties and bobby pins.

I bought a black one to make it look a lot cleaner and nice than the plain white ones. It also had the added bonus of being very hard to stain or look dirty because it's black! However, I still wanted to spruce it up and help it to fit better with my bathroom colors and design. I figured the easiest way to add a little color to my storage would be the paint the drawers. Originally they were just the clear plastic. Although they were thick enough that you couldn't see what's inside them, unless you were really looking, they could still use a little color to spruce them up.

It was a simple fix as well. I just took the drawers our and wiped them down to make sure there wasn't any dust or makeup or anything else that would make the paint appear bumpy or not stick as well to the actual plastic. I than used plain acrylic paint to color my drawers in similar colors to both my shower curtain and the canvases I had recently completed (see previous posts). After several coats of color I applied a few coats of modge podge. Since these were functional pieces as well as decorative I didn't want to worry about the paint chipping or smearing or anything as I used them. I also only painted the sides of the drawers and didn't worry about the bottom since the bottom wouldn't be seen unless the drawer was in use and pulled out.

After everything had dried I replaced the drawers into their proper places. I love the look and the impact that they had on making the plain plastic storage look a lot nicer, however the plain black top of the container now looked too plain for my taste.. Using a stencil and some white paint I applied a cute little design to the top and also sealed that with modge podge.

My drawer was now complete and ready to look cute on my bathroom counter.

After everything is painted.
Sitting in my bathroom with my brush holder (tutorial to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment