Thursday, September 4, 2014

Don't Judge a Job by it's Title

Not to long ago I was a recent college grad who was so thankful to find a job in the same town where I graduated from thus enabling me to only partially grow up and assume the role of College Graduated adult. While I worked my normal 8-5 I slowly adjusted from college kid with no problems to the financial independent young woman I now am (well you know more independent than when I was a college student anyways).




But after a year of struggling to party like a college kid while living as an adult I began to realize that I was ready to move on. Don't get me wrong I loved my town and my friends and everything that involved living in a college town, and I still miss everything (especially the drink prices, penny pitchers? quarter draws? who wouldn't love those?), but eventually there comes a time when we all realize that college is over and the real world has arrived.




For me it came when my best friend found a new job and decided to move. I was so happy for her and so sad all at the same time. She was my roommate and I hated the idea of someone else living in the apartment that we shared and decorated and made our own. Plus I was losing a crafting and gossip buddy. Granted I had other friends but losing your bestie was just a lot to take in.


Plus I hated my job. I loved most of the people, for example my boss was more amazing than I could ever imagine. For a first real boss he set the bar so high. He was relaxed and fun and could joke around with me. We had the same taste in books and shows and it also helped that he was gay and would always compliment my outfit and wanted to hear all about my shopping trips! But alas the job was a customer service one so spending each day getting yelled at by people who don't understand medical billing is pretty draining. Most days when I went home I didn't want to see or speak to anyone. I was emotionally drained and only wanted a glass of wine, my puppy and to watch someone else's drama on reality TV (preferably something on Bravo, they always find the most drama filled people!).




Moving day came and went. She left and found a subleaser who was ok. Clean, kept to himself, took care of my dog when I left on some drunken adventure so I couldn't really complain, but I missed having her around. IT also didn't help that my boyfriend and my mom lived in the same city she just moved to. So with all this motivation behind me I decided it was time for a change. I was going to move back home and live with my mom and find a new job.


Why I decided to live with my mom over living on my own is a whole different story, and definitely deserves its own post, but finding a job turned out being a lot more difficult than I originally thought. I have a background and degree in the medical field so naturally that was my main search area, however I quickly found that although tons of places have job openings they aren't really looking to fill all the open spots, or if they are it is for a very small amount of money or non full time, meaning no benefits, meaning not for me.




Thus after almost two months I was beginning to think that I was stuck where I was. Granted I know two month is really not that long of a time but I was ready to move right away so any wait was a bad wait. Than my mom emailed me with an opportunity at her work. The title was office assistant, the job description sounded boring. Basically I was a glorified receptionist, but the money was more than I was making then plus it would get me in the right area so even if I found something better later down the road at least I would be home with my friend and loved ones.


I applied and was quickly called for my first interview. I went and was very impressed with all the women that I met. They all seemed fun and interesting and I knew that I would get along with them so I figured if nothing else at least I might make a friend or two at work.  A few days after my interview they called and offered me the job. Although still not completely thrilled with what the job description was I figured why not and accepted. If it was complete unbearable I could continue to look at other opportunities and at least this way I wouldn't have to drive 2 hours for interviews.


The first day of my new job came and I was so amazed at how nice everyone was. It wasn't the "I work with you so I have to be on my best behavior" pretend nice either. It was a very genuine happy atmosphere. People said hi and hung out after work and I was just thrilled to be there. I spent most of my day getting to know my area, the people I work with and company policies so although not that exciting I couldn't really complain. It was a normal first day at a new job.


My second day I feel in love with my position. Now I was beginning to see the ins and outs of what I do and I quickly learned that a large part of my job involved planning fun activities for people at my company. Sure I answer phones and greet guests and do occasional office work of making copies, binding reports and stuffing envelopes but most of my day is spent organizing food truck visits, planning weekly volleyball games, organizing and delivering produce for our coop, Fun things that I get to be creative on.


This morning I had a doughnut truck visit that I had to make sure went smoothly followed by a random delivery of 140 mini boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and a meeting where we planned how we are going to distribute those boxes to the company. It's fun, its challenging, it's everything I ever wanted in a job but didn't know I would find under the title of office assistant.


So I urge you don't be frightened by the title of a position. If it sounds even remotely interesting go for it! Interview and ask lots of questions! Like me you may end up loving what you do!






No comments:

Post a Comment