Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Online Shopping Friend or Foe?

Shopping is one of those great activities that never fail to increase my mood. Buying pretty things, whether for myself or for someone else, always brings a smile to my face and boost to my mood. Add in the actual workout I receive by walking for miles and miles through a store and the Starbucks that I am sure I will buy to keep my hydrated and life is pretty perfect in that moment.


Than enter online shopping into the mix and things become a little wonky. I still get the happy mood of purchasing new items but I lose the added bonus of a little exercise and the Starbucks drink. but the convenience is just amazing. I get bored at work and I can browse for new clothes or shoes or accessories or, thanks to Amazon, pretty much anything that I want! Then when you get them in the mail it's like a little present. I get to open the box and enjoy the receiving of a new item. It's a much different happy than regular shopping because the anticipation for that item is crazy high, its not the instant gratification of find it and buy it. It's find it, want it, buy it, wait for it and then happy dance when I arrives.




However my bank account does not like my online shopping. Actually picking up the items and shopping for them manually causes me to really think and debate on if I actually need that item or if I just really want it. I have to hold it and handle it and really physically imagine the item at my house. Where with online shopping its just a simple click and it's mine. No debate, no worries just happy dances while you wait for it to arrive.


As much as I tell myself that I will not buy anything this week or today or this hour sometimes the temptation is just too hard. Either I'm bored or maybe I got an email or text letting me know there is some great sale and in 1-2 weeks I have a package in the mail full of fun goodies! Sometimes I feel like it's an addiction and I should really be saving this money for my future. You know when kids and mortgage and all that good adult stuff becomes a thing I have to deal with. But Carpe Diem I only have one shot at my mid-20s so I might as well spend them looking cute!


Besides at least I'm not addicted to drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment