Monday, September 22, 2014

That Moment When You Realize You Might Be Getting Old

So this weekend I spent a very exciting and fun time at my boyfriends old Fraternity house, drinking and generally having a great time. Saturday we started the day at 10 AM in the beer garden for their Greek Week closing games. Needless to say once 7 PM rolls around we are all feeling more than a little tipsy.


As we enter party mode we decide what could be better than belting old Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Britney and other 90s hits? We are getting really into the music and I realize that one of the new pledges is sitting in their seat completely silent. He is not singing or joining in at all. Curious as to why I ask him why he is being a party pooper and encourage him to sing ridiculously (like all of us).


I proceed to get the biggest shock of my life, he does not know the lyrics. When these songs were wildly popular he was still an infant. That fact just blew my mind and I officially felt old. I encouraged him to learn them since they are the greatest of drunk songs and proceeded to dance and sing as loud as I could with everyone else who was lucky enough to be raised in the 90s.


As I sit her contemplating this moment again I can't help but feel sad for that kid and the rest of his pledge class. He missed out on one of the greatest decades and his parties will forever be sad because he will not have these 90 pop songs to fall back on when he needs a drunk sing session.


I also used this as a reminder that age is just a number and even though this kid is slightly younger than me I am still able to part with the best of them so remember to sing as loud as you can, dance like a maniac and enjoy life because we got to experience the 90s and the younger generation didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment