Monday, July 28, 2014

Healthier Lifestyle Ahead

I recently started a new job that is closer to home, meaning I moved back in with my mother. Normally I would judge people who do this but my mom lives alone, as my parents are divorced, so moving in with her was more like moving in with a roommate than a mother. I still pay rent and bills and help out with the cooking and cleaning so the arrangement is working out really well for us.

One thing that is not working out so well is my waistline. I have never been a super skinny girl, but neither have I ever been truly fat. I usually describe myself as curvy and soft. I don't have a thigh gap (which I think is kind of a stupid goal) but I am not obese either. In fact my weight falls towards the middle of the appropriate weight for my height, or at least it has pretty much my whole life. Recently though I have found that my weight is increasing. This can be blamed on the fact that I now live in the country so I don't have the motivation to get up every morning and walk my dog around the neighborhood, I can just let him out the door and let him roam. I also don't have as much free time as I once did as I spend a lot of time hanging out with friends after work or just enjoying some time with my mom. Also when I lived alone I did not keep sweets in my house, this prevented unhealthy eating my mom however does not have the same rule.

Add this to the fact that me and my boyfriend eat out way more than we should and it's not hard to figure out why I have gained some weight. Again I am still not obese and I am still at a healthy weight for my age and size however it wouldn't hurt to tone up and shed those few extra pounds.

Let me also say that I am not a fitness rep of any kind. I took one nutrition class in college and found it tedious and couldn't imagine having to think of healthy food for other people my whole life. I am not working for any fitness company nor am I getting anything from anyone for this review. I just want to make sure I stay honest about my fitness routine and decided that blogging it out would be the best way to keep me accountable.

My first step was to get more active using MyFitnessPal I used it in the past when I was trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle and I found that it is very helpful when it comes to logging my food. Their database is awesome and includes almost anything you can dream of. Plus I love that I can access it both via computer and my phone making my food and exercise logging super easy.

I also just started wearing a Jawbone and using their UP system. I like that it syncs with the MyFitnessPal so I don't have to learn a whole new logging system, plus it keeps track of things like how well and what kind of sleep I am getting and provides movement reminders if I am sitting still for too long. This is especially nice while I am at work since I work at a computer and forget that sometimes it is helpful to get up and move around, even if it is just walking to the restroom or filling up my water cup.

The last thing I invested in is a new weight loss system called 21 Day Fix. It is by Beach Body, the company that came up with Insanity and P90X and is both a nutrition plan and a workout program. I had a friend try it and love it because it really makes you take a good look at the food you are eating. I have yet to receive the program yet (it should be deliver sometime this week) but the basic premise behind it is that you get these containers and each container is a different color and is designated towards a specific food group. Based upon what your goals are you use those containers to make your meals. It doesn't specify why types of fruit or protein or carbs that you eat, only that you can eat them as long as they fit within the designated container for that meal. It is a nice and simple way to determine portion sizes without weighing and measuring every little thing. Just fill up a container and go.

I will try to make regular posts on my progress and let you know which things I find the most helpful! Here's hoping those extra pounds come off super fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment